By Michael E. Brown, Owen R. Coté, Sean M. Lynn-Jones, Steven E. Miller, Owen R. Coté Jr.
"It is tough to be stimulating and instructive on a subject matter that has held as a lot consciousness as has terrorism for a decade and extra. however the essays during this quantity mix these features for the advantage of scholars and specialists alike. The reader will come away with precious new insights and perspectives."--Philip B. Heymann, James Barr Ames Professor of legislations, Harvard legislations university, writer of Terrorism, Freedom, and safeguard (Philip B. Heymann )
Read Online or Download Contending with Terrorism: Roots, Strategies, and Responses (International Security Readers) PDF
Best terrorism books
This edited ebook addresses the appropriateness folks and different counter-terrorist (CT) innovations in Europe and Eurasia, the center East, the Asia Pacific quarter and in Latin the United States, so one can enhancing their effectiveness.
The booklet has 3 major objectives:
- to reconsider terrorists' strategic pursuits and resources of legitimacy and the character in their ideological support
- to research present US and nearby CT options and investigate their luck in de-legitimizing terrorists and undermining their support
- to supply a strategic synthesis and coverage suggestions in mild of the learn findings.
This publication should be of curiosity to scholars of political violence and terrorism, safety stories and diplomacy quite often.
In Cultures of worry, a very world-class line up of students discover how governments use worry so as to keep watch over their electorate. The "social agreement" provides smooth states accountability for the protection in their electorate, yet this assortment argues that governments frequently nurture a tradition of worry inside their contries.
An extended record of nations - labelled outcasts, pariahs and rogues - have didn't meet overseas criteria of excellent behavior. within the chilly warfare years Rhodesia, Israel, Chile, Taiwan and South Africa, between others, featured one of the ranks of the disreputable. In sleek global politics, the intense sinners not just comprise states: terrorists, rebels, criminals and mercenaries additionally perform the nice online game of who will get what, while and the way.
Terrorism and WMD’s, moment version offers a finished, up to date survey of terrorism and guns of mass destruction (WMDs). Terrorist guns and supply equipment have gotten more and more subtle; as such, this publication makes a speciality of the chemistry and biology of WMDs, the advance and background in their use, and human health and wellbeing results of such guns.
- The Sociology and Psychology of Terrorism: Who becomes a Terrorist and Why?
- Our Moon Has Blood Clots: The Exodus of the Kashmiri Pandits
- Terrorism, Inc.: The Financing of Terrorism, Insurgency, and Irregular Warfare
- Armored-Gun Trucks of the US-Army in Iraq
- The Long Struggle: The Muslim Worlds Western Problem
- The United Nations and Terrorism: Germany, Multilateralism, and Antiterrorism Efforts in the 1970s
Additional info for Contending with Terrorism: Roots, Strategies, and Responses (International Security Readers)
Attacks may become more radicalized and may even join global terrorist groups when they cannot achieve their local objectives. S. counterterrorism policy. First, it is sometimes possible to deter critical elements of terrorist networks from participating in terrorist enterprises. The United States should pursue those elements vigorously after any attacks to increase the chances of deterring other terrorists. In particular, the United States should pursue terrorist ªnanciers and their assets. Second, even highly motivated groups can be deterred.
Mousseau, “Market Prosperity, Democratic Consolidation, and Democratic Peace”; and Michael Mousseau, Håvard Hegre, and John R. Oneal, “How the Wealth of Nations Conditions the Liberal Peace,” European Journal of International Relations, Vol. 9, No. 4 (June 2003), in press. 40. Michael Mousseau, “An Economic Limitation to the Zone of Democratic Peace and Cooperation” International Interactions, Vol. 28, No. 2 (April–June 2002), pp. 137–164. 41. Michael Mousseau, “The Nexus of Market Society, Liberal Preferences, and Democratic Peace: Interdisciplinary Theory and Evidence,” International Studies Quarterly, Vol.
38. Stuart A. Bremer, “Dangerous Dyads: Conditions Affecting the Likelihood of Interstate War, 1816–1965,” Journal of Conºict Resolution, Vol. 36, No. 2 (June 1992), pp. 309–341; Bruce M. : Princeton University Press, 1993); and James Lee Ray, Democracy and International Conºict: An Evaluation of the Democratic Peace Proposition (Columbia: University of South Carolina Press, 1995). 39. Mousseau, “Market Prosperity, Democratic Consolidation, and Democratic Peace”; and Michael Mousseau, Håvard Hegre, and John R.
Contending with Terrorism: Roots, Strategies, and Responses (International Security Readers) by Michael E. Brown, Owen R. Coté, Sean M. Lynn-Jones, Steven E. Miller, Owen R. Coté Jr.